And now, the second in my continuing series detailing why Adventure Time is basically the greatest show ever. Here are some of the lessons these episodes teach…
Season 1, Episode 5: The Enchiridion!
- Parties can get out of hand really easily. Be careful when you’re having fun – you still have to be responsible!
- Some people seem innocent and nice and then they turn out not to be. There’s no way around it, you just have to be prepared to deal with that.
- Sometimes you try to do the right thing and it doesn’t turn out the way you want. It doesn’t mean you should stop trying to do the right thing. It happens. Just keep going.
- A real hero is nice to people even if it seems like they don’t deserve it.
- Fighting evil is a good thing to do. But hurting others, even if they’re just neutral, purely for your own gain, is wrong.
Season 1, Episode 6: The Jiggler
- Just ’cause you see something cute out in the wilderness doesn’t mean you can just take it home and make it your pet. You don’t know what it needs, and it probably has its own life and family it needs to be with.
Season 1, Episode 7: Ricardio the Heart Guy
- Sometimes you have to learn how to deal with new emotions, like jealousy when some guy shows up and he seems awesome to everyone except you hate him and you don’t know why.
- Jealousy can make you feel and act weird!
- Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between being jealous of someone and having an instinct that they’re actually a bad person. So you can’t just go being a jerk to people just because you have a bad feeling about them. You need to actually know for sure that they’re a bad person first.
Season 1, Episode 8: Business Time
- Sometimes it’s easier to get someone else to do something for you than to do it yourself. But if you do that, you get lazy and fat and useless, and you can’t even do the stuff you want to do then.
- If you have someone else do things for you, they might not do it they way you really want them to.
- Sitting around and being lazy and eating lots of junk feels fun at first, but it starts to get unpleasant really quickly. You’ll feel tired and crappy and get an upset stomach and not be able to do anything!
- If you get fat you can’t just make it go away. It takes a lot of work!
- You have to watch out for businesspeople. Their priorities can get all out of whack and they can do bad stuff meaning to do what they think is important.