It’s been a while, but I still love me some Adventure Time! Here are some more life lessons from Finn and Jake and all the rest.
Season 1, Episode 13: City of Thieves
- People are not always what they seem. Scary-looking old ladies might be trying to help you, and cute little girls can be conniving, manipulative, and cruel.
- You can’t always do the right thing, no matter how hard you try. Sometimes things are out of your control, or sometimes someone forces you to do something bad, or sometimes it’s just not clear what’s right and wrong.
- When you do something wrong, even if it wasn’t your fault, you still have to deal with it.
- Doing one bad thing doesn’t make you a bad person.
- You can’t fix or change people who don’t want to be fixed or changed. You can do your best to help them, but in the end, they’re going to make their own decisions.
Season 1, Episode 14: The Witch’s Garden
- Sometimes you need to apologize for upsetting someone, even if you don’t understand why they’re so upset.
- If you do something the easy way for too long, you’ll lose the ability to do it any other way. Sitting around all the time isn’t just bad for you – it becomes more and more difficult to get healthy and in shape.
- Something being difficult is not a good reason to not do it. That just makes you lazy and useless.
Season 1, Episode 15: What is Life?
- It’s not enough to have an idea – you have to figure out how to make it happen and then follow through.
- There’s a fine line between playing a trick on someone and being mean. It’s not always easy to tell the difference until it’s too late.
Season 1, Episode 16: Ocean of Fear
- Heroes get scared, too.
- Fears can be irrational, and no amount of logic and reason will change that.
- Forcing someone to do something that scares them won’t necessarily help them get over their fear. It might make things even worse.
- When you panic, you can do stuff to make the situation worse or even dangerous.
- That voice in your head telling you you can’t do something and making you feel bad about yourself is an enemy you should fight. You don’t have to listen to it.
- Being scared of something doesn’t mean you can’t do it.
Season 1, Episode 17: When Wedding Bells Thaw
- You can’t reason with a crazy person. Sometimes humoring them is the best option. But that doesn’t mean allowing them to do anything to hurt anyone.
- You can’t force or trick someone to fall in love, and it’s never okay to push someone into a romantic situation they don’t want to be in.
Season 1, Episode 18: Dungeon
- Everyone’s got things they’re good at and things they’re not good at. Things turn out best when people with different skills and abilities work together. Trying to do everything alone doesn’t work out too well. No matter how good you are at the things you’re good at, you still need help with the other stuff.
- Things aren’t always what they seem and beautiful does not equal good.
Season 1, Episode 19: The Duke
- If you pass judgment on someone, and never give them the chance to prove you have the wrong impression, you could be making a huge mistake. It might all be based on a misunderstanding and you could be missing out on a really great friend.
- We tend to judge people we don’t like much more harshly than people we do like, even if they’ve done exactly the same thing. That’s really not fair, even though we don’t do it on purpose.
- If you decide you don’t like someone, you can come up with reasons to call everything they do bad and wrong.
Season 1, Episode 20: Freak City
- Doing something nice for someone doesn’t mean you’ll get a reward in return. Sometimes you’ll get some kind of reward, and sometimes you won’t. And some people are just ungrateful jerks who will take advantage of you.
- People want different things. If someone gets something that you wish you had, but they don’t like or want it, they don’t have to be grateful just because you would like it if you had it. You gotta respect what they want. You can’t push your own desires on other people.
- You’ll never get anything you want if you just assume you’re not good enough and don’t try.
- Don’t give your sugar to jerks.